Each year the National Cherry Blossom Festival celebrates the gift of ornamental cherry trees from Tokyo, Japan. In a ceremony March 27, 1912 First Lady Helen Herron Taft and Viscountess Chinda, wife of the Japanese Ambassador, planted the first two trees of the thousands which were shipped to Washington, D.C. Mrs. Taft had lobbied for several years to have cherry trees planted through various areas of Washington, D.C., which was going through an urban redevelopment.
This wooden plaque features a dark pink variety of cherry blossom. It measures 12 inches wide, 3.75 inches tall, and .625 inches deep. This item is made in the USA.